Aurora

The outpouring...

Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Life and Times of Jubi-Lee... Super-Assistant! Part NEXT...

So, I get back to work after having a splendiferous lunch lyme at Tastee's with my pan ppl... WAH?!?!

Before I left for lunch, I had arranged informed Jan - my friend from school doing a Spanish major - of my current problem. "A wah dis u get yuhself inna? A summa job dat?" she said. She finally agreed, after laughing me to scorn, to help me give Senor costa the right information.

We got to calling Senor Acosta at around 3:00 pm. But Jan was on a cell phone, and apparently conference calls makes the static louder... much louder. Needless to say, calling Mr Acosta with Janelle on a cell phone would not be working out. But out of desperation, we called again when Jan moved from off the roadside (which means that the perceived static might have been trucks driving past her!!) to the staircase, then again when Jan steps into the ladies bathroom at her office. After that attempt, I accepted that it was pointless calling with Jan on her cell, and Jan couldn't, or didn't want to use the office phone - speaking loud in Spanish in the ppl dem office... unacceptable!

Light bulb ... Jan remembers her friend who teaches Spanish who would be able to help with my current dilemma. So after doing the happy dance, I tell Jan to call her and prep her on the job thst she'll have to do, if she agrees to do it.

3:45 Jan comes back online and gives me the contact info for her friend, Alicia Bernard. THANK GOD, cuz I was near my breaking point... stress threshold...
Give her a call and give her all the travel information for all the members of the team... because when I called Mr Acosta by myself, after I wrote Part 1, I believe I may have totally confused him, and I couldn't clarify anything for him. I was telling him everything in Spanish, and from what I could make out from him, everything was fine... in the beginning. Then he got to talking - straight downhill.

So it was Alicia's job to tell him all the infromation and clear up any misunderstandings. I sat in amazement as she got through it in a flash, wondering if Senor Acosta would ask her who gave him the information before, and then talk smack about my incompetence. From what I could make out... he didn't :)

So, that chapter finally comes to a close. Hopefully all the trips Boss will be making from here on will be to New York, or England, or Trinidad, or any damn place that has English as it's primary language... where all the taxi drivers speak ENGLISH!

What can I say though? This experience has taught me that there will be unexpected obstacles in the jobs we will hold in the future, and in order to impress the boss ( and keep these jobs) we need to have some back-up plans... like holding on to the friends that speak Spanish.
I think I may just do a Spanish course this semester. What the hey? All in the name of "I just need credits!"

Stay tuned for the next Chapter in... The Life and Times of Jubi-Lee... Super-Assistant!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you got it worked out and learnt a lesson in the process. :-D

4:47 pm  
Blogger bassChocolate said...

U need a big red cape and a cliff to fall off :-D Then you can start climbing up again...

1:43 pm  
Blogger Sweet Simone said...

Glad it all worked out, while providing me with some entertainment in the process :D

2:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home